The original Oddfellows hall, built around 1905, when the Oddfellows lodge moved across the road from their regular meeting place at The Spread Eagle Public House.
The gentleman at the gate is William Alfred Rumball, born in 1847 so around 55 years of age probably a past Grand Master of the Barton Bendish Lodge.
The fanlight above the door contains the letters O F H indicating it as the Oddfellows Hall.
1909 and the wedding of 22 year old Hannah Louise Rumball, spinster of this parish, and Alec Stephen Holmes a 24 year old bricklayer, also of this parish. They were married on 16th October at the nearby St Andrews parish church by the Rev Stephen Gooch Read.
This could well be the first wedding breakfast held in the new hall.
The photograph below, taken a little later, probably in the 1920’s shows a young lady with children standing outside of the hall, where it has had the addition of a thin porch. The picket gate seems to have survived this far at least.
The O F H seems to have been lost from the fanlight, although the lodge was still very active at this time.
Probably taken at the same time by Mr Raby, this postcard shows the view looking the other way, with a group of parishioners including a horse and cart and a new fangled motor vehicle.
The substantial tree in the churchyard is no longer there and the brick wall, gate and barn have long gone, but otherwise, not a lot different to today!
Toilets were added to the rear of the building in the 1990’s about the same time as the old pot bellied stove was removed. Many villagers even now recall the heat given off and the need for protective railings around it. There are scars on the rear wall, covered over now by the toilet extension, which indicate there may have been an earlier lean too building in that location, although all records seem lost.